Sunday 25 August 2013

Using Eclipse for Django Development

I find Eclipse with PyDev a great Django development environment.

Download the standard version of Eclipse and then follow the Quick Install PyDev guide.

To set up PyDev, run Eclipse and set up the following:

From Eclipse Windows Preferences set up the Python Interpreter (this assumes you're using Python27):


Then I find it useful to set HTML files to be opened by the python editor:


From Project Properties (replace the green box with the name of your Django site):


 
Set up the Python path required for your Django site.  Here I've added my Django site and the path to a Django app /mysite/myapp:

Add any external libraries you are using.  Here I'm using django-pyodbc to use Django with a SQLServer 2008 database (I'll cover this in a separate post later):
 
 Set up DJANGO_MANAGE_LOCATION to the path to manage.py in your Django site, WSGIPythonPath to the wsgi.py file in your site and DJANGO_SETTINGS_MODULE to the settings.py file for your site:

No comments:

Post a Comment